Your taxes at work   28/3/2006

Today’s email contained a message from a friend that parodies Howard and the Australian Wheat Board kickbacks affair.
It was yet another hackneyed reworking of Paterson’s Clancy of the Overflow, so didn’t win any gold medals for originality.
First verse:
I had written him a letter, which I had, for want of better
Knowledge, sent to where I met him at the wheat board, years ago
He was chairman when I knew him, so I sent the letter to him
Just on spec, to make the point that “Howard doesn’t want to know”.

But someone had gone to the time and trouble of composing it and ensuring it did the email rounds.
Someone with plenty of time on their hands.
But also someone with not enough brains to remove a tag that reveals they are publicly disseminating politically partisan comment while on the government payroll.
Footnote on the circulated email:
Department of Innovation, Industry and Regional Development, Government of Victoria, Victoria, Australia.

Filed Under: -

8 Comments for 'Your taxes at work'

28/3/2006 | 12:40 pm

There is nothing more hackneyed than a Banjo Paterson parody. If they want to write something about the AWB scandal fine, but why not base it on Edgar Alan Poe’s The Raven, or Thomas Gray’s Elegy Written in a Coutry Churchyard?

28/3/2006 | 10:51 pm

How ’bout dem Bulls hey Tony?

28/3/2006 | 10:51 pm

er…I mean…Slatts…

Bernard Slattery
    29/3/2006 | 10:24 am

Bloody hell Habib, I mean Murph, what do you expect when the Vics have got talent like this (from the Bushrangers web site):
    For years Mick Lewis never saw himself as much more than a social cricketer. He preferred football and had to have his arm twisted to play even in the seconds at Northcote.
    Well, he was on the money with that self-estimation. Why didn’t they twist his bloody arm right off?

Ginger
    29/3/2006 | 2:04 pm

Having worked in the Victorian Public Service for many years (note, I did not say that I was a Public Servant) I can assure you that many staff spent hours a day circulating anti-government stuff around and calling talk-back radio making anti-government comments after waiting online for ages, add to that time spent outside holding caucus meetings oops sorry?? having a smoke and you can imagine their output. I once complained at the smutt that was in the fax machine tray when I was sorting it out and was told, if you don’t like it them don’t look at it and that came from the Anti- Sexual Harassment Officer. In the best interests of us taxpayers, the best option is to contract out the whole Public Service.

d
    29/3/2006 | 2:30 pm

Ginger, you’ve sown the germ of a cunning plan: Hook Bracks’ thing – whatever it is, a cockroach perhaps, he has for a brain, into the govt’s. computers and end of problem, no more bloody govt. and `public service’. As in, it will be all over tomorrow and, heh, that way, Victorians might not have to wear the depression that otherwise those useless good for nothing dole bludgers are set to bring on.

30/3/2006 | 7:08 am

This appeared on David Tiley’s site a few weeks ago. He received it from an anonymous source as well. I think it’s quite clever (although I agree Charles does make a good point). Anyway, the commenters on DT’s site pointed out that Mike Carlton ran it in his Saturday SMH column.

I don’t know. Versification like this seems a bit too much for Carlton. But then again, maybe all he had to do was reach for the only volume of poetry in his house and substitute a few words, and voila! Instant poetry!

Interestingly, you could write an excellent parody of the AWB scandal based on Poe. Imagine these lines being recited by John Howard:

While I nodded, nearly napping,
    Over many a curious volume
    Of forgotten UN law …

It almost writes itself!

31/3/2006 | 12:06 pm

That’s what we need – an email verse parody answer from these trenches of the culture war!

Banjo Paterson himself composed a parody of ‘The Raven’, which was probably what brought it to mind. It is called ‘Come-by-Chance’:

As I pondered very weary
    o’er a volume long and dreary —
    For the plot was void of interest —
    ‘twas the Postal Guide, in fact,
    There I learnt the true location, distance, size, and population
    Of each township, town, and village
    in the radius of the Act…

And while we are on Banjo, the liberal conservative side of the culture wars should refer to Frank and Miranda as ‘The Two Devines’.