Joke ungot   10/3/2006

I’ve always thought I had a reasonable appreciation of humour, particularly that produced by British comics. The Goons, Steptoe and Son, Til Death Do Us Part, Monty Python, Black Adder, Benny Hill, The Two Ronnies, the Young Ones, French and Saunders have at times all got me guffawing like a stormwater trench.
Maybe it’s too deep for me, but I doubt it; I’m sorry, I find Little Britain about as funny as toothache. Sorry, but gags about vomiting, rude clerks and old ladies pissing themselves were passe in my neck of the woods around Grade 5.
The gits in it and their attempts at funniness remind me of another mirthless televisual experience — The Goodies.

Filed Under: -

6 Comments for 'Joke ungot'

Stephen Williams
    11/3/2006 | 12:08 am

Bit hard Slatts I like em all. I think the best thing to come out of Britain in the past 10 years was The League of Gentlemen. It’s a bit of an acquired taste but it just got better each series.

Jim
    11/3/2006 | 6:08 am

Did you ever see the documentary about what happened to Benny Hill? It was a political decision to get him off air.

There has been a cultural revolution in Britain over the last 20 years. Programs with a heterosexual sensibility are considered politically disadvantageous (and maybe it is). Programs with strong homosexual sensibility are considered politically advantageous. It’s propaganda.

The left try the same ruse here but it has never really suceeded. The number of privately owned media outlets has protected us to some degree. Australians can vote with their wallet.

I think BS may also be alluding here to the banned Australian tourism ad. Think long and hard about this boys.

detribe
    11/3/2006 | 7:11 am

Exactly my thoughts Slatts.

Are you my long lost illegitimate half-brother?

deecha
    11/3/2006 | 12:08 pm

Just finished reading Dalrymple’s book ‘Our culture, whats left of it’

Gawd, how depressing. This is the end of Britain, I guess.

hwka
    12/3/2006 | 1:24 pm

“…were passe in my neck of the woods around Grade 5…”
    Looks like you were a late developer, Slatts.
    I was born hating tubby litle fairiesNigels in glossy leather such as featured on Little Britain …at birth.
    My views broadened though as I grew older and I now hate oops lack empathy for all shirt-lifters equally.
    But that’s just me…not Your ABC.

17/3/2006 | 8:52 pm

Me too – never raised so much as a titter.

Is this perhaps akin to the Emperor’s Suit of Clothes? We are supposed to like it so we say that we do. Football’s the same.